Wednesday, July 27, 2011

When I Wake Up Singing

Just the other night, I woke up…several times…for no apparent reason.  Well, not really.  It wasn’t the first time this had happened, and I surely hope it won’t be the last time.  I wasn’t continuing a dream into wakefulness.  There was no story that had come before what woke me.  I simply heard and sang “I’ve just seen Jesus, I tell you He’s alive, I’ve just seen Jesus, my precious Lord alive.”  It made me unbelievably happy.  Then I would drift back to sleep, only to awaken again a short while later hearing and singing “I’ve just seen Jesus…”  God prepares us in His own ways.  These events don’t happen by accident.  They make me long for that heavenly homecoming whenever the time is right.  They fill me with excitement and peace all at the same time.



Another song that has awakened me on many occasions is “To God be the Glory.”  I didn’t even realize I knew the words, but I have often awoken singing “Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, let the earth hear his voice…”  I could wake up singing pop songs, or show tunes, or TV jingles, but I don’t.  I wake up singing praises to God, not every night, but when He wills it.  I feel more loved in those moments than I can adequately explain. 
I can only hope that others recognize the realness of God through the songs He places in their hearts.  It’s a wondrous experience.
Don’t ya know that I sing because I’m happy?  I sing because I’m free.  His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.”  This is a tune that comes to me when I’m walking my dog, or sitting quietly in my living room in the evening, or when I’m driving along an interstate.  It makes me happy just to realize that if my God looks out for tiny birds, He also watches out for me.  Just think…there are close to 7 billion other people on the planet, not to mention everything else in all of creation.  He knows each hair on my head.  He knit me in my mother’s womb.  It’s hard to even grasp the greatness of our God, but this song helps me do that, and it makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment