Thursday, July 21, 2011

Happy Birthday Never Sounded So Good


That's me...on my July 22nd birthday way back in 1959.  Fortunately, I can tell you that there was, indeed, a body attached to that little head.  I came along about a month ahead of schedule and with great drama attached to my birth, but that's a story for another time.  Today's story is all about the family birthdays my mother is still helping us celebrate this summer.  That's her, below, holding me on Easter Sunday in 1960.  My sisters and brother shared in the photographic moment.



Following multiple strokes over the past 20 years, each one of which caused increasing physical incapacity, my mother reached a point this past May where she lost the ability to speak.  Her mouth had become paralyzed and her tongue thickened.  Due to severe arthritis, she is no longer able to write or type, so her communication ability had become extremely restricted.

Late in June of this year, my sister and I traveled from our homes in another state to visit with my mother on her birthday.  As we prepared to sing that old familiar childhood tune, my sister informed our mother that she had to sing along with us.  To our surprise and amazement, she sang "Happy birthday to me..."  Each word was understandable and her voice brought joy to our ears and mist to our eyes.  Still, she could not verbalize even single syllable words with any clarity.

The next day, we sang "Jesus Loves Me" and "You Are My Sunshine" with her.  Her voice rang out with clarity on each one.  Two weeks later, she sang "Happy Birthday" to her brother over the cell phone that had been dialed for her.  All this time, she remains mostly unable to speak.

My birthday is tomorrow, and I will be traveling again to visit with my mother.  I look forward to enjoying the sweet sound of a woman in her waning years finding her voice even when no one, including her, knew it was possible.  Our bodies and minds are mysterious and wonderful things.

Happy birthday never sounded so good, thanks to this blessing bestowed upon my mom.  It brought encouragement to me, and to her.  Scientists may try to figure it all out, you know, how our brains really work.  In the end, however, there is nothing left to do but praise God for all of nature's variety and grandeur, for He alone knows the beginning and the end in all things.


In college
Now

6 comments:

  1. Wow, Karen! This is amazing. We really don't understand the complexity of the human brain much at all.

    My mother had the opposite happen after her one major stroke -- she lost her ability to sing, but can still speak, even though her thought process gets muddled as the day wears on.

    Also, happy birthday to you. I'm sure you are looking forward to hearing your mom sing to you tomorrow! :o)

    --Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. good post Karen & Happy Birthday & I'm sure you will hear that sweet song

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, This is really touching. I loved it. Happy Birthday to you too. The string beans are ready and waiting.
    Let's wait until Saturday evening though. Maybe it won't be sooooo hot by then
    See you this weekend
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Karen....Happy Birthday to you.Enjoy your mother sweet song tomorrow, I am sure she will sing for you. Great post, my birthday is on Sunday and I will also plan to see my mom. Have fun Karen and say hi for mom. Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post, Karen. And Happy Birthday! In song and in spirit. :-)
    Have a safe trip and a wonderful time!
    Love, Barbara <><

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, Happy Birthday and I apologize for not putting two and two together to understand what your sister was trying to get across to me. Ah well! The hazards of getting old, you know? I remember our conversation recently about the fact that your mother was able to sing but not speak. I believe I stated at the time that different parts of the brain are used to sing versus speak. On of the earlier comments to this blog would appear to confirm at least the possibility that this is true. Enjoy your family and the time away from the big city. And...stay cool. Brad

    ReplyDelete