Friday, April 15, 2011

They Call Me Ms. Poppins

Did you ever think about nicknames…or the ways people refer to others (and I’m not referring to ugly things)?  There are the common ones like Rick for Richard, Dan for Daniel or Kate for Katherine.  You know, everyday nicknames.  Then there are the sweet nothings lovers choose for each other.  Some are common like Honey, Sweetheart and Dear.  And we have descriptive monikers for many of our sports icons like Bulldog, Dr. J, The Babe, Hammerin’ Hank, and The Rocket.
Well, it turns out I’ve been given a nickname too.  Karen doesn’t generally lend itself to a shortened form, so it’s nothing like that.  And while some people might get away with calling me Honey or Sweetheart or Dear, it’s not those either.  I’m called Ms. Poppins.  And most people, when uttering it, feel pleased with their cleverness, thinking they’re the first to invent it.  I enjoy watching their glee and fun-loving spirits.
You see, when I am out among Washington, DC’s monuments and memorials, leading groups of school children to and fro and helping them to engage in an on-the-spot history lesson, I carry an umbrella.  It’s not always the same umbrella, but it is always held high for all to see.  It gives my kids a focal point so they won’t get lost among the crowds.  And, for some, it’s also provided a fun activity as we walk from one venue to another.  When I have younger groups, usually 5th graders, I often let them vie for naming rights for my umbrellas.  After taking many suggestions, one multi-colored canopy was named Nemo because it reminded people of fish scales.  A smaller one with flowers and frills was named Blossom in honor of Washington’s famed cherry blossoms.

Those of us who provide guide service for the company I work with are known as umbrella leaders because tour groups can spot us immediately by the sight of our trusty working gear.  And though I always introduce myself as Karen, I am often hailed from a distance by high-pitched small voices calling, “Ms. Poppins…Ms. Poppins.”  I happily respond with a smile and a chuckle.  And so do they.

No comments:

Post a Comment