Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Getting Untracked

Let’s be up front about it.  I want to be industrious, energetic, active and motivated…but what I know I am, of late, is lazy, slothful, indolent and shiftless.  Not such a great description to own up to, is it?  Why might this be?  Shall I blame it on others?  On the inequities of life?  On rising gas prices?  On my continual search for new dress shoes that are actually comfortable?  So, here’s what I’m thinking.  I’m going to point my finger at low blood sugar.  Or perhaps not. 
In reality, I think I got off track with regard to my new blog, and my intentions to post to it regularly, when I returned from Ethiopia and posted all of the March entries about the wonderful people I met and experiences I had there.  After I loaded pictures of Moriah boys playing kazoos and wrote about sharing breakfasts with street boys at the Peace Center, well, my mind just wasn’t prepared to return to mundane things.
When I visited Ashenafi’s tiny one-room home, yet picked him up following a 4-hour exam at the university where he is enrolled as a 2nd year student, other things just seemed to pale in comparison.  My thoughts were on him, and his mother and their loving lives, even amidst the challenges brought by poverty.
I’ll get back on track, and you’ll see new photos, and perhaps even some old ones.  You’ll read about all kinds of weird and wonderful things in my life, like the time I drove my parents’ Chevy Impala up a ski slope (without their knowledge), or the birthday party I attended at the Vice President’s house.  But that’s for another time…soon.  Gotta get you to come back, right?  RIGHT?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, I'm here and encouraging you to keep writing. I look at your About Me section and want you to see what I see. "My interests are many and varied." Yes they are. That's one thing I've admired about you. You are most definitely not unidimensional. "As a committed Christian, I am seeking to understand God's leading" Yes you are! And God's leading isn't always solely forward. Sometimes the way forward is the way back. That was the theme of the sermon on the first Sunday of the New Year at the church we visited on vacation. "[A]nd to glorify Him through the way I lead my life, both now and for eternity." You still are...even when you're in what you think is a rut or with writer's block. Maybe you're just stable, standing firm, waiting on the Lord. There are worse places to be than that. I'm proud of you and to call you my friend. Be easy on yourself. Sometimes when we are still...we know He is God. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..."lazy, slothful, indolent and shiftless?" I was assured that my webcam was broken! LOL.

    Sorry I can't think of anything more original than that, but on the bright side, the fog of this cold is beginning to lift from my mind.

    Best,

    Brian

    ReplyDelete